Monday, July 27, 2009

... Am I really Gen X or Gen Y??

I'm perpetually confused by this boxing in classification system. It's good in theory to categorise the different generations, but there needs to be something more substantial to it. Baby Boomers have been known by this term for quite a long time now but the newer ones are becoming arbitrary and not universally known I.E. Gen Z, the Tech-y Gen and iGen. (I somehow don't think that the babies of today will be iGen because something newer will be out and iGen is more like Gen - everyone (unfortunately)).

As the sub-heading concludes on my blog, I am "a Sydney-sider caught between Gen. X and Y ". I identify with many aspects of both but depending on who is interpreting the definitions. Some say Gen Y were born from 1980 onwards, others say from 1985. Well, one version includes me and the other doesn't.

In magazines, newspapers and spam from friends, there are a lot of the "You know you are Gen. X/Y/Z if you ... ". There is even a popular TV quiz show called "Talkin' 'bout Your Generation". To me, its like any other quiz show, you either know it or you don't and I don't think that just because you don't know who is Bob Dylan or Englebert Humperdink is means that you are excused from not knowing.

Gen Y currently has a bad reputation for overspending and not willing to buckle down and work hard. Gen Y is categorised to want to do it NOW and will be less likely to show respect for hierarchy. I just hope recruiters and public servants can see that we are not all bad eggs and that we do have our own personalities and are not just out to jump from job-to-job, getting higher and higher salaries.

I am more than happy sticking with a company if they show loyalty and respect to me, its a good environment to work in and that people don't just shut down my ideas just because I'm not a manager or partner. Don't judge me based on my birth year and don't assume all of us are the same.

No comments: